1) Find out about the ArcGIS Desktop for Nonprofit Organization Program by Esri Canada. Go to the website and Request Application for Membership
- $100 for ArcGIS Desktop (administrative fee)
- Designed for small ground SAR organizations in Canada
- Organization can not be a Nationwide and/or Government owned agency
- Community Based Non Profit Volunteer Organization (with or without a CRA#)
- Must be associated with SARVAC
- CRA Charity registration number - not needed, simply note your relationship with SARVAC
2) Download MapSAR template for ArcGIS Desktop from www.mapsar.net
3) Join our Discussion Group!
Also while at SARScene a few exciting things are happening. Rick Laing and myself just taught a MapSAR Workshop and tomorrow I will give a presentation on Using GIS in SAR and Rick will be on a SAR Technology discussion panel.
There are already talks of a MapSAR training event next year in British Columbia, location TBD (and perhaps Banff as well).
Right now - we are integrating MapSAR with ArcGIS Online via the ArcGIS Collector and Operations Dashboard. Below is a view of the action from our web map. Stay tuned for more (including a post within the next week about how to obtain base data for building your minimum essential datasets). Please comment here or on the discussion group if you know of some great place to acquire Canadian base data (trails, roads, hydro, topo etc.) or datasets that you desperately need for your area.